Sunday, August 05, 2007

ICUP Champ

The final Intermountain Cup race was good and bad. The bad first. Tanner was off to a very good start, but broke his chain on a steep little climb. He got some help to repair the chain, but lost a bunch of time. He went deep into the pain cave to catch back up, but was too far behind.

I had a good day but not great. At altitude, you can't afford to blow up, so I kept it at or below threshold and rode steady laps. I let a few guys go early but brought all but one back later. Rob Westerman was on great form and chrushed me by 8 minutes. However, I hung on for 2nd and scored enough points to win the overall series title in the expert 40+ category. It has been a really good season and I enjoyed racing with Tanner. I learned to actually enjoy the rides this year and not stress too much about results. I was faster this year than last and it was nice to see my hard work pay off. Given my abilities, age and time to train, I think this is about as fast as I get.

I'm looking forward to racing with Adam this Thursday. I plan to be his domestic and work to get him the win. It would be really cool if we could get off the front together and stay away for the win. At the very least, we'll give it a good try. I was really impressed with Adam's split in the Spud Man so he's going good. Should be fun.

Later,

Daren

No comments: