Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The close calls

Sounds like all is well in Utah! Things are going along nicely in Oregon. I have three more days left of roofing, but who is counting. I was able to do a couple of races these past weeks. Two Saturdays ago I did the Harrisburg Crit. I felt great throughout the race and was working with one of my teammates to push the pace. Coming into the second to last turn at about 32 mph and in fourth position (right behind the guy who won the race) I hit my pedal on the ground causing my bike to jump a little bit. With the bump I landed on my sidewall and my tire popped. I was a little disappointed, but glad I didn't go down. We had created a 15 yard gap, so no one was behind me.

I didn't race last Tues. because it was Avery's birthday. Today I told my team I wanted to win one and they worked very hard to help me. Coming into the last turn I got a great lead out from one of the guys and I came around flying. I was sprinting against another guy who had a good lead out and I came up a little short, literally, he beat me by about 6 inches. I watched it on the tape and he barely got me. I was so close! I have two more crits before Lotoja, maybe I will finally get one.

It is sad to hear that all the Tdf riders, including Lance, were dopers. I have always been a little skeptical. I hope that it clears up in the future. I think Discovery was smart to pull the plug - I wouldn't want to deal with all that.

Good luck to all!
Bubba

No comments: