Friday, August 31, 2007

8 Days Left!









Here are some flashbacks to previous LOTOJA's to try and motivate you all. Daren, I am thinking of doing some cross races and have never done one, so I will need some pointers on getting started.

8 Days left! It is coming quick. I know you all have been discussing the race without me, but I decided to write out some of my own personal strategies & suggestions for each of the 8 days left to prepare.

1. Don't drink Mountain Dew to early in the race. Last year I drank it to quick and felt a high, then low before the race was over. So I will repeat in my head over and over, "Drink good fluids!"

2. Don't push hard to catch a group after we have been dropped. At the start of the race we got gapped and I went very hard to catch them, big mistake. I think it killed my dad and sent him into his, as Daren would say "pain cave" for the rest of the race. No matter who we pull, including an 80 person train, we should go our own pace.

3. Don't load up on Tootsie Rolls, no matter how good they taste. I overloaded on Tootsie Rolls last year and didn't want to eat anything else. It is hard to go back to the Specialized Allez when you have been riding the Tarmac. But the joyous Tootsie Rolls lowered my energy level.

4. Go for the Toupe Gel, not the 130 mm Toupe. This year I don't think my butt can take the little Toupe, and I will be bring the Toupe Gel.

5. Anyone over 40 is NOT allowed to pull for at least the first half of the race. I know my dad was trying for all his might to do his share last year, but it about killed him. Let the "young-ins" pull longer, there is nothing wrong with getting a little ride, and it will save you in the end.

6. Bring a rain coat just in case. You never know what will happen on race, even if they say it will be partly cloudy.

7. Don't eat greasy fettuccine noodles the night before the race. I couldn't sleep all night because my stomach was a little queasy.

8. An mp3 player is a must! I don't know what I would do without it - Enough said!

Hope your final week to prepare goes well. I know mine will be.

Bubba

No comments: