Saturday, August 25, 2007

Heat Cross

Today was a pre-season Cross race at the Wasatch County Fair Grounds in Heber. It was strange to do a cross race in 85 degree heat. However, it was a good course and lots of painful fun. Tanner won the Junior 15 - 18. It was a small field, but he road a really solid race and lapped 2nd place. They raced the same time as the Men B group that has some really fast guys. He hung with some of the adults and I'm impressed with his progress. Not many 15 year-olds will give a max effort for 50 minutes.

I had a really good race. I've been working on my cyclocross fitness, confidence and bike handling for more than a year. It's nice to see the work beginning to pay off. A couple of seasons ago, I was at the back of the 35+ group. However, today I was a solid 2nd, my best result yet. I stayed within 10 seconds or so of the leader for the 1st half of the race, but then faded. However, I had a big gap on 3rd. My seat broke off on the last lap, so it was good I had the gap. For the 1st time ever, I was not lapped by Bart. With a short lap, I'm really pleased about staying within 3 or 4 minutes of Bart. My average HR for the race of just below my max and above my threshold. I could tell because I was completely worked after the race and non-functional for an hour or so. The heat made it really hard. I can't wait for the real season to begin in a month.

Congrats to Eric R. on his E50 win. Good job on a really difficult race.

Here's some pics for today. First T-man and then me.
























Here's a few from last week's MTB ride in the rain.

Doug, Tanner and Adam. I'm learning to take pictures while riding - Fox Style.






















1 comment:

Mike said...

Daren,

Looks like the race was a lot of fun! I can't wait to try out the cross thing myself!