Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Eugene Update

T-man was right-they are all dopers! It was really hard to get into the tour as of years past because of all the scandals. I was glad for Contador. He will continue to do well. Sutt that is pretty cool that you won the prime lap. Daren good luck on finishing the season.

In Eugene last week I was dead tired. I had no legs and felt terrible, because we spent a couple of days boating in McCall, Id. with Brooke's family. I hung on to finish 6th. This week I was feeling better and tried to pick the pace up early. I felt good and with a couple of guys tried to get a breakaway, but was unsuccessful. The pace slowed down in the final laps, with no one wanting to pull. With two to go I was sitting in third position and the guy in the lead takes off. With 1 lap to go (1 km) the next guy goes and pulls hard to get a 15 yd break, but cracks. So here I am with almost 1 km to go and I am all alone with a lead. I decided to try and keep the gap and hold them off. I was going as hard as I could. I looked down at my heart rate monitor and it showed I was close to 200. Everything was going well and I even thought I might win, until the final 15-20 yards when I heard the footsteps coming up behind me. The train was moving in. I didn't have much left for a final kick so ended up finishing 4th. I was so close! I am racing another crit on Saturday and will let you know how it goes. I did finish 1st place overall in the points for the 4/5's for the Eugene crit series in July.

One month to Lotoja - it is hard to believe it is that time all ready!

Bubba

No comments: