Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Eugene Twilight

Daren, sounds like the racing is going well. I wish I could be there to ride the 100 milers and race mountain bikes. I don't do that much here. Not many road races left for me here - all on Sunday.

Well, it was another fun day at the Eugene Twilight crit. I was watching a guy from Wheel Works, because he took off last week and got a good break away. Yet again he took off and tried to go by himself. He got about 35 yards up when three guys bridged the gap. I saw them go, but wasn't in a position to go with them. I didn't want what happened to me last week to happen again, so I sprinted to bridge the gap. Just as I was catching up a boy (around 16 years old) started swirving and crashed causing the guy in front of me to crash right into him. I was able to move around him just in time.

After that the race got really fast. I was just trying to hang on! The Wheel Works guy was strong and the other guy was comparable to me, but I was definitely the lesser of the three. My average heart rate for the 25 km race was 179! Yes, you read that correctly - 179. I was on red light the whole race. The Wheel Works guy tried to ditch us twice, but the other guy and I worked together to catch him. In the end I was able to hang on and beat the one guy for second place. I felt pretty good about hanging with them. We ended up beating the main pack by about 2/3 of a lap.

3 comments:

B-Horn said...

Darren the crit man! Sounds like you needed the mt biking skills to avoid crash fest '07. Good job.

Daren said...

It was cyclocross on the S curve Tuesday on the last lap. Lots of fun. I'm glad I'm comfortable on the dirt!

Daren said...

Nice job Brady. Anytime you can stay off the front for the entire race is impressive. Next time your in UT, we need to get you out to RMR for some fun.