Sunday, July 01, 2007

State Champs


Here's the podium for the old guy expert at the Utah State Championships. Congrats to the winner, Jack Dainton (not there for the picture), Rob Westerman in 2nd, Kevin Nelson 3rd, Dana Harrison 5th and Carl 6th. I had a pretty good race to finish 4th. This is a great group to race with the and the top guys go really fast.

Solitude is a difficult race for me. It has lots of steep climbing that kicks my butt. I'm not a climber and it is confirmed each year on this course. However, I rode really hard, did even laps and kept my heart rate at or above threshold pretty much the entire day. That's about all I can ask. The downhill is technical and fast and I love it. Ripping the DH makes the climbs almost worth it.

Tanner had a good race and put in a solid effort to finish 9th. He's come a long way and is a solid mountain biker. It's great to have him along each race.

Wednesday, we took the Varsity Scouts up near Alta to spot deer. We saw about a dozen deer and enjoyed the beautiful views. This one of my favorite places in the world at any season of the year.















I guess I'll join the Tour DE France contest. It's hard to find a top 5 that has no drug connections. I think I'll wait until the last minute to turn my picks in. Who knows who'll get kicked out by then.

Daren

2 comments:

Mike said...

Daren,

Great job on your 4th place finish! You're right when you say Solitude is a difficult race. It killed me! Oh well! Congrats!

Daren said...

Thanks Mike. Send me your e-mail address at dgc@eastontp.com. We're doing a dirt ride the morning of the 4th if your interested.

Daren