Sunday, July 22, 2007

Vacation and E100 Relay

The last couple of weeks have been busy, but fun. Varsity Scout camp last week and a 3 day family vacation this week. We stayed around home and had a great time together. Below are some pictures of the good times.



What's a July vacation in Utah without a rodoe. Our kids hadn't been to one in recent memory, so we hit the Days of 47 show last night. It was a good time. Here a cowboy gets up close and personal with the fence. The bulls won last night with no rider going 8 seconds. Those guys are nuts.







Yesterday was the E100 team relay and 50 mile solo. The good news was the Porcupine / Specialized team of Dave Harward (last minute fill in), me, Eric Rasmussen, Glen Adams and Mike Sohm killed it. We took 8 minutes off last years time on a different course. Not bad for a team with two guys on borrowed bikes (Dave and Mike). I had a good day and raced the leader of the 50 mile class for my entire segment. He'd catch me on the climbs and I'd put time on him on the downhill. The bad news was there were no other good teams (only 6 teams total) and we won by 2 hours and 38 minutes (yeah, that's not a typo). After me, our guys just rode alone. We need some good teams to race next year.

On Friday, we headed out to Miller Motor Sports Park for some gokart racing. What a blast. Ashley is a speed demon. We were battling it out until she spun out. Going fast is a good thing.










We watched this Ford GT do some hot laps on the race course. I'd like to have one of these when I grow up.











Thursday afternoon, we were at Snowbird. Here's Ashley going fast again. This time on the Apline Slide. I hate to admit it, but she was the fastest. Tanner was close. JoAnn took a spill and has the road rash to prove it.









Here's the new tunnel from below the tram to Mineral Basin. Kind of cool.












Ash and Tanner on the Zip Line. Again, going fast.












In preparation for the rodeo, tanner and I gave the machanical bull a go. My knees and hand are still sore.











Thursday morning was spent at the zoo. Here's a cammel with hump issues.













We played on the climbing wall at scout camp. I did better going down than up.











Tanner did really well going up and down. He climbed some of the hardest routes on the wall and was much better at it than Dad.

















Tanner playing in the water. The highlight was the swim check in 50 degree water.










Tanner on the shot gun range. We both have the marks on our sholders to prove we shot.











Right above our camp was a little trials course we played on. Wet logs will test your skills a bit.











All in all, a really good couple of weeks. I'm still on a bit of a training break this week. I'll ride some, but nothing too big. I'm back at it next week with the Intermoutain Cup finals. I'm leading my class again this year, so I need one more good race. After that, it's all about cyclocross. I got the cross bike all tuned up this week so I'm excited to start riding it. My entire year has been pointed toward cross racing this year. Should be good.
Finally, whoes in for the White Rim Trail in October. We have camp reservations for the first Friday in October. We'll leave Thursday night and do the ride Friday and Saturday. We can have up to 15 in the camp, so friends are welcome to come. We just need to firm it up in the next month or so.
Later,
Daren

No comments: