Friday, December 14, 2007

KC Day 2 - D and T racing

Day 2 brought race day for me and Tanner. I'll give a quick report. We'll have pictures and video next week. The pictures will be better in conveying today's epic conditions.

Tanner had an outstanding race. He raced at 10am and the course was a mixture of frozen mud with ruts and some mud puddles. Tanner was on the front row for the start, but slipped a pedal and fell way back. His race was short ( just over 3o minutes) and he battled his way back to finish a strong 14th our of 31 starters. I was really impressed with his effort and how he battled. I was much more nervous than him. I about threw up waiting for the start. I ran about 2 miles around the course to see him. It was lots of fun and the conditions were very hard.

I raced at 3 after 5 groups had raced during the day. The temperature increased enough that the course was a complete mud bog from edge to edge, start to finish other than the one paved section. By the time I raced, it got colder and I was freezing warming up and waiting for the start. However, I was on the second row and got a great start, about 5th into the mud. Unfortunately, I made a bad tire choice and went backwards big time on the first muddy hill. I changed bikes when I got to the pit and the different tires worked much better. I battled the rest of the race in the 30's I think. Results haven't been posted yet, so I'm not sure my final result. I did meet my first goal and didn't get lapped by Tillford, the winner. I gave it my best effort and had a lot of fun. The muddy conditions made for lots of running. I don't think I've ever had a muddier bike and clothes. Good times.

A local guys update. Connor O'Leary finished 11th in the difficult 17 - 18 class after getting the last call up. He rode a strong race to work through the entire field. Lots of locals racing the next two days. Should be fun to watch.

The forecast is for snow tonight and in the morning so Doug's race at 3 tomorrow could get even more challenging. I'm not sure if he's excited or worried.

No comments: