Sunday, December 09, 2007

BUNNY - LESS HOPPING

My Dura-Ace crank is not looking to good after.

A fun high speed corner.

This is the race course, looks like fun!






The most amazing CX race I have seen. Bart and Ali mudding it. Bart came from 45 sec down with three laps to go to win.
Daren called in sick (smart call) so I went out to the Fort to pre-ride the course. It was a slippery icey snowy mess, so I decided of course to race. We lined up and I had decided to go out as hard as I could and then hang on. On the starting straight I got away good, even with some serious side slides on the ice. I was in sixth after the first lap and seemed to pick up on the straights and loose some on the mucky corners, my great bike handling skills. On the forth lap I was going down the back straight and you make a 180 degree turn and they had placed a log over the trail. We had all been dismounting and remounting. The guy right in front of me went way to the left where the log was the lowest and bunny hopped the log. I made a split second decision to do the same. I pulled the front wheel over very easily but some how forgot to lift the back wheel. Needless to say the bike stopped rather quickly and I became a flying projectile. When I got up I grabbed my bike and my chain was off and everything was covered in ice, mud and snow. I finally got it on and mounted disappointed that I had been passed by many. I about quit, but the Cottle in us, made me race on as hard as I could. I was able to pass a few in the remaining laps. I thought I must has taken near last, but ended in 13th out of 35 or so racers. I could of had my first top ten, but oh well. Today I feel like I got hit by a truck, but there is no sympathy around this house. I guess that is why I really enjoy CXing. In comparison to the real good racers I stink, but it is so fun to go out and push yourself and do something that is so hard, it is self fulfilling.
Daren's illness may affect our cx nationals trip, so we will have to see how he feels by tuesday. I hope you are all well and enjoying a great holiday season. Ride safe
Doug

No comments: