Saturday, May 03, 2008

5 Mile Pass




Another 5 mile pass MTB race is in the books. As always, it was hard and very dusty. Apparently, none of the recent rain or snow made it out to 5 mile. My bike was making very unhappy noices the last hour.

Tanner had a good day and battled a really strong junior racer to finish 2nd. Tanner is going great and enjoying riding and racing. I'm proud of him and we're just keeping it fun. He doesn't "train". He just rides everyday how he wants and races on Saturdays. The best part is we get to spend so much time together doing something we love. It reminds me of all the time my Dad and I spent on the golf course when I was Tanner's age.

I never felt good on the bike today, but battled hard. It was a fast group with Fred, Chris B, Glen, Dork Bike Brad, Bob, Doc Cross and others. Bob went out fast and Brad, Fred, Chris and Glen followed. I tried but just couldn't go with them. However, I kept at it the rest of the race and caught Bob late when he kind of blew. Sounds like Darrell and others had machanicals in the race that took them out. Too bad. It's great when we have good, competitive fields.

The good news is I was about the same time as last year with not feeling good. The bad news is last year I was a close 2nd and today I was 5th. However, I'd rather race fast guys and finish lower than win against weak competition. In addition, given my average aerobic engine, I gave up ambitions to win every race long ago. For me, it's all about giving my best effort, getting better each year and having fun. Every once in a while, I manage to pull off a win or high placing and I really appreciate it when I do. The rest of the time, I'm battling myself. I think that's why I like MTB and Cross so much. They are much more personal struggles than road racing.

Big ups to Doug today. He raced the Odgen Crit in the 55+. The 45's and 55's raced together and there are some very strong guys in these groups. Doug has only raced a few crits and never been able to hang on to a fast group. However, today he made it to the last lap with the main group. That's a big step and I'm proud of him. If you haven't done a race that requires maximum effort it is hard to explain the feeling.

Finally, congrats to my friend Reed Topham. Reed started riding MTB's a few years ago and did his first MTB race just one year ago as a 40+ sport. He's worked hard to get fit and improve as a racer and today finished 2nd in the 40+ sport class. Pretty cool.

Oh yea, the team is having a good week. Robert and Sohmy are both in the top 20 at Gila in New Mexico and Dave and Chrispy finished 2nd and 4th in Odgen today. TeamRico was 3rd at 5 mile today in the Pro class as they started the final lap before he flatted.

No comments: