Sunday, June 01, 2008

T-Man's prespective on riding and racing in Utah

I am finally jumping on the Blog bandwagon with my recollection of the weekly vacation to the pain-cave known as the Intermountain cup. Yesterday the Fun-enabler (The Throttle) and me made the epic journey to race in the Sundance Spin. The conditions could not have been better for dirt induced suffering. The temperatures were in the mid 60's at the start line, the trails were neither muddy or dusty but they were tacky. Besides the perfect trail conditions the scenery around Sundance makes it one of my favorite rides and my favorite race course by far.


Yesterday's race had the largest field of competitors in the 16-18 sport/expert division. As the race started all nine of us charged up the hell like first climb toward the first single track. I had great legs and was sitting in third place going into the single track, unfortunately the two ahead of me are a little faster in the technical stuff which led them to get a little gap entail they caught the expert and pro women that started just before us. When they caught the women I was able to catch them on the climb, unfortunately they made a good move and got ahead of the women while me and Danny were forced to tap brakes on the climbs and wave at them as they sprinted away. They were able to increase there gap on the downhill on the first lap. On the second lap I had great legs and attacked the climb and came within 10yards of Logan in second place at the top of the climb, then he got about a minuet on the decent. I had the most fun at a most fun yesterday even though it was my worst finish of the season at 3rd place. I guess I can't complain when my worst finish is still on the podium. I have really enjoyed racing this year because I am actually racing competitively instead of being happy to not finish last.


Since I am writing on a blog I feel obligated to gripe about something. I choose to gripe about cars, I HATE CARS!!!!!!!!!!! When I ride my bike to school I am often yelled at by my fellow students. Often it is incomprehensible cursing and gesturing at the sidewalk. I have also been honked at suddenly forcing me into the curb and crashing in the parking lot and clipping the rear bumper of the car ahead of me. When I rode my bike on the road to the Draper I-cup and was yelled at by a guy in a Porshe that looked like he couldn't even mount a bike. Anyway thanks for listing to my bloging rant.


Tomorrow is the last day that I have to actually go to school. Summer vacation will usher in unobstructed riding time. I currently ride everyday, but can only get in about a hour or 20 something miles a day, now I can finally start riding longer and more importantly I can start riding the dirt at least a couple times a week hopefully increasing my DH abilities.


Here are some race pics, enjoy:
Don't we look similar

No comments: