Sunday, June 08, 2008

Snow in June

As we pulled into Deer Valley yesterday morning, you could tell it was going to be an interesting day. It was misty with the snow line nearly down to the start line. With temps in the high 30's warming up on a trainer under the covered drop off area, it felt just like a cross race in November. The good news was the trails were in pretty good shape, a little mud but mostly damp and fast. The race was shortened by one lap so it was going to be not much longer than a cross race as well. Truth be told, I'll take these conditions over 90 degrees and dusty.

Just like last week, the course was very good, the conditions interesting and I had fun. Just like last week, the legs decided to stay home. I struggled on the climbs and couldn't give Bob any competition. I managed to hang on for 5th, but had to dig deep just to do that. It is now officially time for a break. I may race the crit in Ogden Thursday, but otherwise, I'm completely off the bike this week. I've ridden 6 days a week for the last 24 weeks. My fitness is good, but I'm out of gas. Hopefully, I'll get recharged and be ready to go fast again at the Deer Valley National in 3 weeks. After that, it's a few more MTB races, a road race or two, some fun MTB rides then cross prep. I'm very motivated and looking forward to the rest of the year.

Tanner was outstanding at Deer Valley. He was second to Keegan (a crazy fast junior) in a strong junior field. Tanner climbed very well and held his own on the descents. He started about 4 minutes behind me and I'm just glad he didn't catch me as Keegan did. The more climbing, the better for T and he's having a blast. Just a year ago, we was struggling at the back of the juniors and now he's putting the hurt on everyone but Keegan. Good stuff. He's doing the old man proud.

The hardtail experiment is going well. The 3 courses I've raced with it have been great for HT's and it's felt very good. I love the light, quick feel and the ability to throw it around. I went to some higher air-volume tires this week and Glen helped over-haul my fork. The result was nice and I think I'm committed to the HT for the remainder of the year. Maybe next year I'll go back to the Epic, but I'm having fun with the HT for now.

No comments: