Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Yesterday was a beautiful day in PC. Here's the boys heading up the trail.


What a difference a week makes in Park City. Yesterday it was warm and nice. Last week, it
was 38 and snowing. Ran into Bob and about 100 others on the trail in PC yesterday.

Today is Father's Day and I'm a bit more reflective than usual. Life is pretty good for me. I have a great wife, kids, friends and job. I get to ride my bike daily and play in the mountains often. I'm healthy, can meet my financial needs and have a comfortable home. In short, I have it better than 99.9% of the people on the earth. I'm aware of this fact and try to not take my good fortune for granted. I try to be grateful and try to teach my kids to be grateful as well.

All that being said, today I miss my Dad and I'm feeling a little sorry for myself. It's been 2 and a half years since he died and each Father's Day gets harder. He lived a long, successful life and needed to move on when his quality of life declined greatly at 90. However, I just would like to sit and talk with him again. He was 47 years old when I was born so I had "only" 43 years with him. I wish it could have been 20 years more. My Dad, Doug and I are like clones. With him gone, part of me is missing. Anything good I do is a direct result of the goodness of my parents. Too bad mountain bike weren't around when my Dad was young. He would have kicked some serious butt.

I must say being a husband and father is the best thing in my life. Cycling is a big part of my life but way down on the list of important things. JoAnn's the greatest and Erin, Ashley and Tanner bring me more joy than I deserve. So to all you father's, I hope you've had a good day.
Last week, I only rode Thursday in the Ogden Crit and in PC yesterday. I needed the rest and I'm still a ways from being completely recovered. The Ogden crit was fun and I tried to help AT get the win. We did pull off one prim, but I pulled most of the lap with 2 to go to close a big gap and AT closed the rest. We were pretty much blown for the last lap. Tanner and Robbie were strong in the C group and had a good time. It was good to see Doug and Dan there as well.
This week, I'm still taking it a bit easy and plan to spend some time at the happy hunting grounds Friday and Saturday. Should be a nice time in the mountains pretending to be ranch hands.

No comments: