Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Crazy Win

The paper problem: (Not what your thinking)
Today was an odd day form start to finish. This morning I lost my 18 page term paper twice. The computer shut down on me and erased it. Without a back up file I was about to cry. Luckily I had a hard copy for editing purposes and was able to scan it page by page. I thought I was good to go and it happened again. Only this time I had it saved in three different locations. Did I tell ya it's due tomorrow. So the idea of racing the crit wasn't high on my list, but I made it.

The starting line:
As the B flight was lining up the I overheard two guys ahead of me asking each other why they weren't racing the A's this week. So in my head I was thinking of Bub's sandbagger and I thought different race, same problem. After hearing that I new it was going to be a crazy race.

The Race:
Right from the start it was all out. I knew I couldn't win a sprint finish so tried to go with every break in an effort to get away (I thought the A boys would try to go early, but they sat in the pack until the prims). In the first break the group stayed off for about a lap until we were caught on the prim lap. About two laps later we went again and even got a good lead, but only two of us would work. The other three just sat in. So once again we were caught on the prim lap. The race to this point was fast. Which is good but this week brought out all the billy's. So I made decision at that point to go with 1 1/2 laps. I was thinking of at least trying to breakup the pack.

Somebody see a stop sign:
Then the race hit the breaks and nobody would go. So for two laps we were only going about 23 mph (I guess everybody wanted to win the sprint). So in my head I'm getting ready, because I'm thinking there is only about 2 laps. Then as we approach the start/finish line they yell "last lap" which gets all the boys going and my plan are destroyed. Now the plan is get close to the front and go. Only problem is with all the Billy's in the pack I can't. Then on the back stretch two guys jump (Last weeks winner and some other guy). So I swing all the way out into the wind and go. I'm thinking what the heck and go for it. They had me by about 30 yards because they came for the back inside quick. Then on the last stretch before the final turn they started to slowdown (right by the old finish line) right as I was catching them. I went for it. I slammed it headed into the final turn (I was in first not where I wanted to be), but I knew it was my only shot. I went way to early and just hammered.

The crash:
Then it happened. I heard somebody a few yards behind hit a pedal and go down. As I glanced back to see the wreck I realized that two others were also clear. I just kept going and got the win by a 3 or 4 bike lengths. Kind of a crapy way to win, but I just glad I went early. Luckily, for the pack everybody was able to get around him with no other serious injuries. Unfortunately, I think he broke his wrist and maybe his leg. It was ugly, but thanks to him I got the win.

2 comments:

Daren said...

A win's a a win. Nice job being int he right position on the last corner. Congratulations!

Bubba said...

ATTA BOY! Nice job.