Saturday, April 26, 2008

East Canyon

Another week, another couple of races. It's Saturday night and my legs are pretty worked. I mowed the lawn and did some yard work after the race today and I'm feeling it. The one benefit of the cold, wet spring is that I haven't had to do yard work. Unfortunately, I won't be able to delay it forever. Maybe I could hire Doug.

T and I both did RMR this week. There were big groups, we went fast, did lots of circles and finished in the pack of our respective groups. I actually tired in the sprint and still missed the top ten. Tanner is a little uncomfortable racing in fast in a big group, but is getting the hang of it. The highlight of RMR for me the last few weeks has been the ride over to RMR from work with Chris via Salt Air. It makes for a very good 2.5 hours of training.

Today was the East Canyon road race. It is one of the few true road races I do each year. I always struggle on the first climb, but I like the race anyway. I raced 45+ and Tanner did his first cat 5 race. Tanner did great for 45 miles and was with the lead group of about 12. However, he got gaped in the cross winds, chased hard and blew up about 10 miles out. He finished, but didn't look so good.

I managed to be the last guy dropped from the lead group on the opening climb. It is stupid to let happen, but I was giving it my all. I spent the next 2 hours chasing at first with 2 other guys and later about 10 or so more. I managed to get away with a couple guys on the climb out of Hennifer and held on to finish somewhere around 12th (I didn't stick around for results). The race was more like a MTB race because I was pretty much full gas the entire race. Good practice for next week and actually fun.

Doug was there giving support and took some pictures. It's always nice to see a friendly face when you are suffering. The team did well with Dave and Chris finishing 1-2 in the Pro 1-2 race. They did the same thing Wed at DMV and Chris won RMR Tues. The team is on a roll and riding together very well.

One other note, I was finally able to get some Easton AC90 Aero wheels a few weeks ago. I got to tell you, they rock. One of the best bike toys I've been able to secure. I can't wait to glue some knobbies on them for cross.

Bob, there were a bunch of MTB racers at East Canyon today. You should have been there. You're a climber.

No comments: