Sunday, April 13, 2008

61st!

Yes, I got 61st on my race yesterday, but I worked harder for it than any other race I have ever done. The weather was absolutely beautiful, 70's without a cloud in the sky. I drove out to Corvallis for the Kings Valley road race, which is a few minutes out of the city and surrounded by trees. It is a great course, hills and headwind. It just wasn't my day for racing. I didn't pre-register because Brooke had something that morning and I didn't know if we could get a babysitter, but last year I showed up and was able register. This year I got there and it was full! It had a 75 person limit and was full. I drove all the way up there and was pretty disappointed. I asked someone if I could ride with the 3's and they didn't know. I asked around until finally someone said, "fine, but go quick." I road down and quickly got in with the 3's. My first race with the three's.

The course is 3 laps for a total of 54 miles. I didn't get much chance to warm-up and up the first hill my chain pops off. The guy behind me pushed me for a minute while I kept spinning until my chain came on. 3/4 into the first lap I got a flat! I change the tire quickly and took off to try and catch up. My friend McKenzie, who kicked my butt last year in the 4's until he upgraded, was waiting for me. He had to go to the bathroom and wanted a challenge. He is pretty impressive. We took off, with me pulling the hills and him pulling the flats. I would break him every once in a while, but he pulled 2/3 the time. I was barely hanging on.

We tried to catch them for a lap and a half, around 25 miles, but were never able to catch them. We came within 30 yards on a climb, but were so tired on the downward they got 100 yards away. I road as hard as I ever did to catch them, but we were unable to get back on. So with 1/2 a lap to go we called it good, and I finished an amazing 61st! Not bad for my first race as a 3. I don't think I will upgrade any time soon.

No comments: