Monday, April 30, 2007

Don't ever turn down support

I finish 19th which was ok (I think cat 4 had over 40 riders), but I know I should have placed higher than I did. Following in the outlined format for this week, I learned 3 key things about my riding abilities.

No matter how good I feel I don’t need to take a turn upfront. On the last big climb I went to the front and set the tempo up the hill. I felt great until about a mile and a half to the summit then I popped. I thought the top was closer than it really was and as my tempo slowed down, around 10-13 guys attacked and I did not have the legs to go with them.
Don’t tell those who want to give support that they can’t (sorry Doug), only to see other riders getting needed food and water right before the big climb. I ran out of water and food around mile 44 in a 60 mile race with a 5 mile climb starting at mile 48. Not good.
A lot of riders can climb a lot better than I can. I road hard up the hill, but not hard enough. I was defiantly humbled.

I’m thinking about racing the island next week (40 mile Crit) and with the new knowledge I gained this week I hope to do a lot better next week.

No comments: