Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Good & Bad

I think I've recovered enough to write. First the good. As Doug mentioned, Tanner had a great race in the Hotter than Hell Hurricane MTB race. It was a long race for juniors (25 miles) and he finished 2nd. He beat the kid that won the 1st race of the year, so he was happy. He was within 4 minutes of Doug's time as well. Doug was tough. For a new mountain biker, he's doing really well. It is a very difficult sport and I'm pleased he's giving it a go. Not many people are willing to try challenging new things at 56. He's my hero in many ways.

I had a near death experience in the race. A guy from Vegas threw down early and I had to let him go. I then rode in 2nd for 2 hours. However, even though I carried as much water as I could, I ran out. I went from 2nd to 6th on the last lap and really didn't care. I was cramping in my feet and just wanted it to end. I lost something like 18 minutes on the last lap so it was good I had a big lead on the rest or I would have been 15th. I pretty much passed out trying to get to the truck after the race and had to lay there for 30 minutes and not move or I'd cramp. I don't want to be like that again anytime soon. During the last 30 minutes of the race, I vowed to sell all my bikes and take up golf again. Fortunately, I've over-come that tempation.

There was some redemption last night. I raced the RMR crit in 25+ mile an hour winds. It was very hard and guys were getting dropped all over the place. I got away for a lap early, but got realed in. I rode with the lead guys the rest of the way and helped put the hammer down. In the end, I was not positioned well, but finished 7th, my best finish in the Cat 3 group. It was nice to not just be hanging on when conditions were tough. In the A group, Dave Z. Burke Swindlehurst and Jeff Louder were all there. Needless to say, it was carnage in the group. It's always cool to see DZ go by you very fast.

I'm off to ride the TT bike today. I finally got it set up. I plan to do some TT's this year, so I need to get comfy on it. I'll post a picture of it soon.

What's the plan Saturday? The Porcupine team is riding at 8am and I'm also considering an MTB ride. No race, so we should ride together.

Daren

No comments: