Sunday, April 01, 2007

Eugene Ice Breaker

It was my first race of the year on Saturday - the Eugene Ice Breaker. It was a 25 k crit. My race sounds very familiar to yours Daren. There were about 50+ people racing in the 4/5 group, it was huge. It had been raining the night before and rained after the race, but we got a lucky break. The wind was blowing very hard on the back stretch, so it made it hard for anyone to break off. I managed to stay up close most of the race. My friend was starting right next to me and as we took off he noticed his chain had fallen off. He spent to laps trying to catch-up, but finally stopped and waited a lap for us. He has beat after that.

Going into the final lap a guy didn't hold his line very well and moved me way out on a risky corner. Then I got stuck behind him and watched as the group moved passed me and I couldn't get in. I turned into the head wind trying to get back up to the front, but they had strung out the group pretty far. I sprinted as hard as I could, but only managed 11th. I was pretty disappointed, but that is the life of racing. I felt really good going into the final lap, but I didn't have much luck.

Let me know what you want to do with LOTOJA. Also, I will let you know when we will be there this summer so we can get a ride in together.

Bubba

1 comment:

Daren said...

That's too bad about the race. Most of the crits I do end up in a group finish, so it's all about positioning on the last lap. I'm glad you got out to race, it's good to start the season. I'm going to try to redeem myself tonight and then Saturday on the MTB in St. George.