Sunday, March 30, 2008

Change of Plans

Well, the weather and a basketball tournament kept Brady, Adam and Doug form making it down to race RMR. Kind of a bummer, but what can you do? Tanner and I were struggling to get excited to fight the wind and cold at RMR when Glen called and suggested an MTB ride. I was suddenly excited to ride and we spent 3 fun hours on shoreline, Red Butte, Dry Creek, etc.

Rico, Glen, Chris B, Tanner and had the full team kit, matching bike thing going. We got lots of double takes as we cruised by together. The trails were in good shape and I was worked by the end.


Chris Bingham throwing down


Glen, Tanner and Chris

Eric going so fast, it's a blur.
It was a nostalgic ride for me and Glen. I haven't ridden much in that area the last few years, but Glen and I spent many hours exploring years ago. After we both moved back to Utah in the early 90's we met again and started riding in the foothills.
I knew Glen and his brothers well in Jr High and High school, but hadn't seen him much after graduation. I followed his race career in Velonews after I started riding in '88. I was just a slow roadie until I moved back to Utah. I took up riding in the dirt and learned how to ride in the Red Butte area. I worked for Huntsman Corp at the time and rode out the back door most days at lunch. Glen worked at Binghams on Foothill and we could meet a couple days a week. We were riding Dry Creek when it really was just a dry creek bed.
My first real MTB ride with Glen was up and over Red Butte. I had been riding MTB's for about a year and thought I was a pretty good rider. However, riding with Glen opened a whole new world to me. I had no idea you could ride a bike like that. Glen clean the entire ride, including the bridge and stairs and I was inspired. Glen hooked me up with an old 24 inch trials bike soon after and I learned to track stand, hop and wheelie. About a year later, I finally cleaned the entire Red Butte ride and felt like a king. Any descending skills I have are due to riding with Glen. Not everyone gets to learn to ride from a Downhill World Championship Medalist. Those were great days.
Hopefully, spring will decide to show up soon. I'm tired of being cold.

1 comment:

StupidBike said...

saw your car at the zoo while i was heading up emi to attempt a 15 minute power interval, 1.5 hours later, i was at home, blown to bits, ate, ran some errands, ketted back up and rode the scalpel to the zoo to dry creek and in reverse.

I have ridden dirt pretty much every day since last saturday, not so good for fresh legs:)