Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Redneck Show

I spent last week in Indianapolis at the Archery Trade Association annual trade show. It's the archery version of Interbike, just with lots of bows, arrows, hunting equipment and rednecks instead of bikes. Similar to Interbike, it is a dealer show where manufactures are trying to write orders. It is actual remarkable how similar the archery and cycling industries are. Both are driven by the independent dealer with box stores growing rapidly. The dealers are generally enthusiasts who love the sport. One bid difference is cycling dealers are usually fit riders while archery dealers are bubba bowhunters. Here's a look at the show:


This is our booths. We had seven brands at the show. Easton (in the forefront), Hoyt (in the background), Reflex and Fuse (not seen).

This is Delta and McKenzie targets with Easton in the background. Our other arrow brand Beman is not pictured. We're probably the largest combine archery company and have a large footprint at the show.

One of our competitors had a Swat Team stand around their booth to promote how tuff their arrows are. Yea, we thought it was pretty lame too.


We had all of our sponsored TV hunting personalities signing pictures in our booth throughout the day (If you don't think hunting shows are big on TV, just scan ESPN2, Versus, the Outdoor Channel or The Men's Channel next weekend. The TV hunting show personalities make far more money than any Olympic level archer.). Lee (in the blue vest) and Tiffiny (in the Camo shirt) Lakoski seemed to be the most popular for some reason. The bubba's stood in line for 30 minutes to get a signature and a picture.


Somehow, I don't think the Bubba's were in line to see Lee. Check out all the fit guys in line and how far it goes back.



Of course you can get your Harley in Camo if you want.


Cycling did make an appearance at the show. Pacific Sports (Schwinn, GT and Mongoose) had a camo bike they were pitching with a custom rack for your bow. It is a Schwinn frame dipped in camo just like a bow. Pretty sweet. I'm thinking I might need one of those racks. I have to check with Hoyt to see if a frame will fit in their dip tank. If it does, a camo MTB might be in my future.


This beauty is nice. Green paint, camo stickers and a nice rack system. I tried to pick it up but I wasn't strong enough. It's like a road motorcycle. If it falls over, it takes three guys to get it back up.
Now that I'm back, I'm officially on the training again. I wish I had the time flexibility to skate ski or snowshoe everyday to get my endurance time in. However, I'm stuck in the dark valley so I get out at lunch sometimes on the bike and the rest of the time I'm at the gym or on the trainer. Good times. There is some good news. Tanner is full-on this year, so he shares the pain with me in our basement pain cave most of the time. Also, I just got three new Cross DVD's yesterday so the entertainment factor just went up dramatically. Almost makes me WANT to ride the trainer just to watch. Less than 10 months to Cross season and only 11 to Nationals! I wish I were in Belgim for Masters World's this weekend. Good luck to the Utah boys that made the trip. Maybe one year..........

2 comments:

Bubba said...

Was Jeff Foxworthy there? Sounds like a really fun time, more for laughs then anything. Can you imagine those big guys trying to actually ride one of those bikes? Train on and enjoy the pain cave.

DeletedBlog said...

I was thinkin, for us city folk that have to deal with people tryin to run us oft the roads daily, they should have made a bottle mount pistol holster. I know of one that would buy it....