Thursday, January 03, 2008

The crash (not even on a bike)

This is Doug before the crash, when he is still happy!

This is the crash site. You can see the tree below and Doug landed where the light is.

We were discussing titles for this blog and here were some of the suggestions, "A poopy deal" and "Falling of and getting back up." It all started with Doug and I enjoying a little ride in the morning, then driving over for a nice day down at the Oregon coast. We went to a light house and enjoyed the beach, wind and all. We found a nice restaurant, Mo's, and ate some seafood (I had chicken fried steak - really fishy). We finished by having some ice cream at the local BJ's.
Doug must have had a little too much, because he got a diarrhea attack on the drive home. Going from Eugene to the coast is a very beautiful drive, with trees on both sides. It looks like the road was cut through the middle of the forest. So I pulled over and Doug ran out into the black and rainy forest. I jumped out to find a tree, it was all that Mountain Dew at the restaurant. The next thing I hear is, "Ah! (thud) I'm in trouble! (thud)"
"Are you alright?" I asked.
"I pooped my pants and I think I broke my leg."
As it turned out, Doug stepped over a log and couldn't see that it dropped down about 4-5 feet. When he fell the logs broke his fall, but his ankle got pinned between the cliff and the log. His momentum carried him over and he fell another 4-5 feet landing in moss and tree limbs. I was standing right above him and couldn't see what had taken my dad. It looked like he had been swallowed into the black abyss. I had to carefully climb down and help pull him up out of the hole. Luckily, he wasn't seriously hurt. His ankle is sprained and his wrist is hurting worse. Once we knew he was somewhat alright we got a pretty good laugh about it. It is definitely something I will never forget. Just imagine Doug trying to explain to people why he is limping. "Well, I had to stop to go to the bathroom and fell off a cliff!" Seems pretty far fetched but pretty entertaining.
Here is Avery's version (my 10 year old daughter)
But then came the catestrufy. It started out as simple every day thing. Going potty. So when Doug got out and whent over to a quite area and deceided that right over this log he would go. Little did he know that over that log was a 4 foot drop then a log then a 5 foot drop and then ainto a of junk.Such as leaves,moss,dirt and other stuff.It was to dark to see so down went Doug, cellphone and all on to log number 1 then rolled over and droped on log number2.'' Help ,thud, help''.

No comments: