Thursday, January 03, 2008

My Five Things

There is a challenge going around the Utah cycling bloggers to list 5 things people don't know about you. The lists have been interesting and entertaining so far (although I now know things about Turbo I really didn't need to know). Since I don't want any bad cycling karma coming my way, I'll follow along and make a list. (Big disclaimer: Most of the 10 or so readers of this blog are family members that already know just about everything about me, so they aren't going to learn anything new.)

1. I've had a golf handicap index as low as 3.4 and yet I've played exactly 3 rounds of golf in the last 3 years and all of them were in 4 man scramble tournaments (2 wins I might add). Yep, I gave up being a Cat 1/2 golfer to be a pack fill Cat 3 road racer. The real reason I gave it up is I was a distant 3rd best golfer in my family behind my brother and Dad. I just got tired of getting beat all the time.

2. I'm a big fan of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Really. There is no musical instrument as powerful and emotional as 300 voices working together in a live performance. Regardless of your religious affiliation or lack thereof, you need to go hear the live Sunday morning Tabernacle broadcast at least once. Trust me on this one. You'll likely react like Sting. He described singing with and listening to the Choir during the 2002 Olympics as one of the most moving experiences of his life.

3. I'm an information junkie. Every day, I read the SL Trib, the Wall Street Journal, Velonews.com, Cyclingnews.com, blogs and other periodicals and listen to NPR. I also have 2 to 3 books going at any given time. The last few years, most of the books I've read have been non-fiction works about sports, politics, history and outdoor adventures. My wife and 3 children join in the reading passion. We are frequent visitors to the Sandy Library and have library fines rather than DVD late rental fees.

4. I've never owned a video game system and I've never sent a text message using a phone. Somehow, my children have managed to survive and function. I ditched the PDA 10 years ago and my cell phone is merely a phone. However, I have become pretty attached to my notebook computer, digital camera and MP3 player.

5. I have no recollection of the first time I met my wife. This is due to the fact that we were babies at the time. We grew up a few blocks from each other and we have always been friends. We didn't start dating until late in my senior year of high school and I dated no one else after our first date. Best decision I've ever made.

There you go. The challenge is now pasted on to you.

No comments: