Friday, October 12, 2007

Sniffing Glue

I'm racing on tubular tires and wheels for the first time this year. They are great. I love the cross tires and the ability to run really low tire pressure. I had been using Tufo glue tape with road tires this summer and with the first mounting of cross tires this fall. Mounting was easy and they seemed to be holding up well. However, after everything dried out from Saturday's mud, the tires on my bike and Chrispy's tires Tanner is using easily rolled off the rim. Not good.

Therefore, I spent this week gluing two sets of wheels the old fashion way. I now feel like I've earned the right to use tubulars. I took the conservative approach applying 3 coats of glue over 3 days. After a total of 6 hours in the garage playing with glue, I now have 4 solidly mounted tires. What a pain. However, the process went well and I'm now ready to rock. Cross at RMR tomorrow!

Daren

No comments: