Sunday, October 21, 2007

Mud'n






















Well Saturday was cold, wet and muddy. Pretty good weather for cross. We're all sick and we know it. Betty and JoAnn came to the races and are now convinced we are truly nuts. It's not just the fact that crossers will race in this kind of weather, it's that we embrace it. We almost get giddy. I think we view it as some kind of badge of courage and toughness. If it were any other kind of cycling, it would be miserable. However, when it's cross, it's fun.
Doug raced early in the cold rain with the course not too bad. However, by the end of his race it was getting muddy. Two races later, Tanner's group faced light rain and lots of mud. My race after Tanner's enjoyed warmer temps and little rain. However, the course was a mess. There were a couple of sections that were a victory just to ride.
Doug did great and finished in the middle of a very big C group again. He's doing really well and enjoying the experience. By the end of the season, he'll be near the front of the C's. By the way, good job to Mike W. who has ridden with us a few times this summer. He won the C's in his 3rd cross race. Tanner dominated the 15 - 18 Juniors again. He had to change two wheels during the race and still was way ahead. He may give the men's C's a go one of these weeks. I had an OK race. I had a bad start and couple of mistakes that put me in the middle of the pack. However, I clawed my way back to 4th and just ran out of laps. With a couple of more laps, I would have gotten to 3rd and may be even 2nd.
After church this afternoon, I went over to Wheeler and saw the finish of today's race. It was kind of strange to watch and wonder where I would have finished. The course conditions were nearly perfect. It was a lot easier watching, that's for sure. There was some serious suffering going on. A typical cross race. One thing is for sure, Bart G. goes really fast and made it look very easy. I talked with him 5 seconds after he finished and he was hardly breathing hard. Impressive.
Ther is no race this coming Saturday, so we'll have a good group ride in SLC. Come on down for the fun.



1 comment:

Mike said...

Daren, Doug, and Tanner, great job on your races yesterday! The course was a lot of fun. Cross is the best! I wish I would have known about it earlier! Tanner stay away from mens C group! You'll kill everyone!