Thursday, October 18, 2007

Its Cyclocross? I Thought it was Cyclothrough!

Hello to you all! We haven't seen much of everyone since the big L. I've always wanted to try the cyclocross racing, but no skills always adds a ray of doubt for us old types. I decided to sneak out to the Rmr race last weekend and give it a try. I didn't want to tell anyone, just in case I woosed out. I thought I got there early but by the time I got on the bike and registered they were lining up to start the race. What a great confidence builder when I look around and have no idea where I'm going or what to do. Betty defines this as stupid, probably so. My wrist is still hurting from my header last month, so I don't even know if I can lift the bike over a barrier, let alone climb a grass hill. So I'm thinking what the heck, go for it, so I gased it hard off the line top ten and go flying into the grass corner only thinking I'm going to wipe out the course on the first turn. Fear is a great motivator as I kept it up right thinking this is nuts. It then goes up the race track, turns 180 and back through the grass. It is only then that I realize there are the double barriers coming quickly. I know I my mind what I need to do but having never raced or gone over more the 5 barriers I start to get worried, especially with the field all around me trying to run me over. As the barrier approached I realize we are flying, so I fling the right leg over thinking I can coast and then do my thing over the wall. With the speed I just got my leg over the bike and was there. The next phase you needed to be there to gain the full joy. I went to click out and it wouldn't let me out, next thing I know I am eating the barrier and my bike is flying into the next one. Unfortunately for those trailing me I became an added barrier to jump. By the time I got up and got the bike working I went from 10th to 25th, and
what anticipation I had for the immediate next barrier. I did make it over and started my adventure around the course. I was laughing so hard I had a hard keeping the bike upright, or was it all this gravel and someone put a stairway in the middle of the race course. Little did I know that that was the least of my problems as I went down a sidewalk I could see everyone was riding and climbing up a 45 degree grass hill. I got close and hopped of and pushed the bike up the hill only to find I was expected to get back on with a 45 degree camber away from my mounting side. I can't get on from the right so it was a leap of faith to get on the bike and not slide off the hill. It was then around a sharp corner and back to the start. At this point in my cx racing career I thought that should be enough, but then I thought how can the next one be any worse. So away I go! I was feeling much better when I got over the barriers and up the grass again only to find I got a flat somewhere. I was close to my car so I went over and fixed the flat and then the tough decision! Back on the course or in the truck. I figured I wouldn't even have to tell anyone that I tried, but the GORDY in us all made me go back and I even passed a few guys and raced to the end taking 25 out of 40. I will return ,I loved the whole deal. Ride safe.
DOUG

1 comment:

Bubba said...

Your experience gets me pretty excited for my first race!