Sunday, September 02, 2007

Why it's Called Bowhunting .....

First of all, good luck on the final LoToJa preparations this week. I'm glad it's about here for you all and will soon be over. I hope the Petersons recover and are able to complete the ride without too much suffering. Looking back at the photos and posts below, I had a few good memories of my two LoToJa rides. However, not enough to make me want to do it again. Focusing on crits, cross country MTB and cyclocross has fit my available training time better and allowed me to improve a bunch this last two years. My bike will be at LoToJa again this year under Brady. This will be the 4th LoToJa for my bikes. I think somehow those miles count for me, no?

After another bowhunt without taking an animal, I'm reminded of the saying, "that's why it's called bowhunting not bowkilling". I spent the last 6 days bowhunting elk and mule deer with my friend Andrew on his property. I enjoyed the time in the mountains and worked really hard. However, it was a bit too early for the elk to be rutting and the full moon didn't help either. This is my 3rd season bowhunting and the animals are still safe. I'm a definate cat 4/5 bowhunter. I've actually worked pretty hard at it the last 2 years, but it is very difficult to master.

It's kind of ironic that anti-hunters accuse hunters of just being blood thirsty killers. Bowhunting is far from that. I sent 10 to 12 hours a day alone in the woods carefully hiking or watching for deer and elk. In the process, I saw a wide asortment of birds (including red tailed hawks), jackrabbits, mule deer, elk, red fox and a black bear. I have a far greater appreciation and respect for nature and the natural defenses of big game. It is a privilege to be able to hunt these animals and great care needs to be taken to hunt them ethically and within the law.

I committed the bowhunter's cardinal sin. On the 1st day in the 1st 25 minutes of hunting, I came upon 5 bull elk about 100 yard ahead of me. The two largest 5 points were fighting in a clearing and the smallest of the group, a 4 point, came right to me. I had a clear 30 yard shot and didn't take it. I thought, it's the smallest of the group, the bigger ones are coming to me and it's the 1st day of a 6 day hunt. Well, the 4 point got to within less than 20 yards of me and busted me. He ran and so did the others. That turned out to be the best shot opportunity of the week.

I also spent some time on a tree stand for the 1st time. It's a different experience sitting for hours on a small platform 15 feet up a tree. It was a test of my patience and ability to sit still. However, it was pretty cool to hear the sounds of the forest and to see a few animals. Two cow elk came into the water hole directly below me and I got to watch them for 10 minutes or so. They could smell something was up, but looking directly at me couldn't figure it out. I also saw the black bear while sitting on the stand.

Well, I've still got the remainder of the hunt on the Wasatch, so maybe I'll get lucky. I did see in Stromin's Dad's blog last year that he bowhunts. So maybe I'm not the only bike rider/racer that hunts. If I didn't work at Easton, I probably would not have taken up bowhunting. However, I'm glad I did and I have enjoyed the experience so far. Even if it is very hard work. I'm beat after a week of hunting. Below are a few pictures from the week.



My manly beard after 6 days. I've never grown one, but maybe someday.



A double rainbow after a shower while I was on the tree stand.

Here's the tree stand. The little seat on top flips down so you have somewhere to sit. Fortunately, there is a safety harness to keep you from falling off to your death.



Here's a view from the stand.




Andrew found this skull and antlers from a big mule deer that died a few years ago. We hiked about 6 hours this day into a very remote and deep canyon. This is where big bucks like this die of old age.

No comments: