Monday, May 07, 2007

Racing Solo

Saturday turned out to be a death ride out on the island. It was cold and the wind chill made it bitter cold, but no rain. Unlike what Daren said I’d take the heat any day over riding in those crappy conditions. Wind on the island is always bad, but Saturday was brutal. I had a miserable solo ride. I felt OK and raced hard the entire first 2 and 1/2 laps in the group. The next thing I know, I’m positioned about 20th and the first 13-16 riders attack up hill into the wind. 3 of us try and counter the attack in hopes of jumping on, but the three of us just end up suffering in the middle for another 2 laps until they drop me (I was killing myself to help the three of us bridge) and I ended up soloing the last 5 and ½ laps. In the wind with no recovery I thought about quitting every lap. To my surprise I wasn't caught by any other cat 4, but I think most of them quit. The top 6 cat 5 riders caught me on the 2nd to last lap. I wanted to jump in the the group, but didn't. I road next to them until the last lap, but with no help they slowly peddled away.

It felt great not to quit, but it would have been fun to complete the entire race with the group. I’m not in the saddle enough during the week to hang with the top cat 4 group. I’m going to do a few more crits, but I might be done racing cat 4 until I can get more time in the saddle.
I have no idea what place I was in, but I would guess around middle of the field (just like last week). I would love to know how to find the results. I’ve tried to find them for East canyon and Antelope, but have no idea where they post them. Not that 20th -30th place is that great, but it could tell me where I stand in the group.

1 comment:

Daren said...

AT,

GO to Cycleutah.com and click on the calendar. When you're in the calendar, click on the Antelope Island race and you'll get results. I think you were 19th. You are a stud to race solo for so long.

One of the beauties of MTB racing is that Saturday's weather was OK. On the rode, it is brutal.