Friday, September 05, 2008

Sittin' in the airport

Needless to say, getting here has been quite the adventure. Where to start? On Monday we found out that Brooke's grandpa passed away in this sleep the previous night. He is a great guy and will be missed. We made arrangements for Brooke to go out to the funeral on Friday. With the high gas prices and $$$$ for parking it didn't make sense for us to drive two cars up to Portland, so I made arrangements to leave early on Thursday (my second day of school) to go up with Brooke earlier on Thursday.

I had a project due on Sept. 6, obviously the same day as the race, so I knew I had to get it in early. I stayed to work on it at school on Wednesday night. I am creating a webpage about the acheivement of the school, including a podcast and photo's of the school. I had it all updated and on the net. Came in Thursday morning to find that the server had crashed that night and some of my work was gone and it was no longer on the net. The IT people said the server should be up by noon. I waited thinking I could publish quick before I left, but it never happened. The server never came back up. I emailed my professor the situation, but haven't heard back yet. This part is yet to be resolved...

Continuing with the story... Brooke cames to pick me up at the school. When she gets out of the car she has a look of disgust on her face and she is shacking her head. As I get closer to the van I catch a wiff of something really bad. Upon closer examination I see orange stuff all over Liam. Liam looks at me and says, "I threw up carrots!" We are supposed to be dropping off Liam and Avery at Alissa's in Portland and Liam is sick! I thought that maybe it was car sickness, but on the way up he continued to throw up. Each time missing his cup and getting all over him. We went through three outfits. The thought kept coming to mind, "what am I going to do?" We called lis and she said to bring him anyway. Spread the wealth! She deserves a gold star for this one. I took him over later when the kids were asleep. I got our kids situated and spent some time cleaning up the throw up. During the night he threw up once in the night around 12. I gave hime a blessing because I was getting pretty nervous. He got up at 3:30 and was a new kid. He was bouncing all over the place, so I could tell he was feeling better. Well, this made me feel a little better about leaving my boy. Thanks again lis and Rob P.

But the story doesn't end yet. As I was driving up the "maint check" light came on in our car! This is why we got a newer car - to avoid this kind of stuff. Reliability. I got the oil checked, but it was still on. I am at a loss with this one. Have to figure this out when I get back.

I am now in the airport about to load. I made it. Crazy as it is - I made it. I will tell you if it is worth it after 11 hours of riding. See you all real soon.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

The Maint Check light is usually just there to remind you of regular scheduled maintenance on your car. The newer vehicles have this feature, and usually when you get your oil changed they turn it off for you. Do a google search and you can find out how to turn it off yourself, it should also be in your drivers manual.