Friday, August 15, 2008

Personal notes on the Utah Tour

Yesterday I had a blast checking out the Tour de Utah with Doug. We went down to the start to check out the teams and their bikes before heading up to watch the first climb. It was Awesome!! I only had one slight problem upon arrival, I forgot my camera. Doug forgot as well but on the way to the North Ogden Divide Doug grabbed one. So please put up a few pics from the first climb.

My thoughts about the race
1. Money matters in bike racing. It was amazing to see the different setups and support from each of the different team. Rock racing looked like a touring Rock band.

2. Pro bike racers make me look big. (although there were a few riders taller than me and maybe one or two with a higher body fat %)

3. Everybody uses butt cream and they'll put it on in the parking lot with everybody watching.

4. Everybody hurts climbing the Divide. This might sound bad, but it was nice to see even the big boys in a little pain.

4. How steep the Divide really is. Doug and I walk about 150 yards up the divide (something I had never done before) and I was shocked as I realized for the first time in my life how steep it is. Now I know why I can only climb up it at about 7 mph.

5. I could not believe how low key it is around the warm up/ start area. You're right in the middle of everything( support cars, trailers, bikes, riders) and it's cool to see things from that perspective.


In other news our Team had a group ride to help Russ ride 100 miles before he does Lotoja;s 206. We had a great ride. Tanner you'll have to post the pics. I almost got myself ran over taking one of the shots.

No comments: