Sunday, March 18, 2007

RMR Racing


Russ is in the white and red with the S.





Daren in the blue with a red helment and Adam at my side with the big S.





Well, we survived the first RMR race. Adam and I raced in the B group (Cat 3 /4) and stayed out of trouble. The race was fairly uneventful the first three quarters. I covered a few attacks early, but my legs were still sore from this week's workouts, so Adam and I just sat in. The last 15 minutes is always a bit crazy. There wasn't much wind, so it was going to come down to a sprint. The last 3 laps it's a battle for the front 20 spots. I made it to the last corner in about 15th or so with Adam on my wheel. I started the sprint early and got up to about 5th, but blew with 100 meters to go and sat up. Adam got pushed off my wheel in the last corner and finished further back. However, he had no trouble staying in the group and will do well. In fact, our team needs another B rider so Adam is now officially a Porcupine / Specialized guy.


Russ raced the C group (Cat 4 /5) and was doing well sitting in the middle of the group. However, he flatted on the back straight and by the time he made it to the start / finish, it wasn't worth the effort to try to get back on. He was a bit disappointed, but did well in his first crit. It is a very different experience and he learned there are many unstable riders trying to take you out.

Doug checked it all out and decided the risk of injury is greater than the potential fun at this point in life. However, he could hang with the C's. I think he's up for the next MTB race though. The risk of crashing is much less and if you do, it's all your fault.

On the Erin front, she's good. She has a companion from Argentina that speaks no English (yes Russ, she'll now learn proper Spanish). She's in Florida Uruguay, just North of the Capital.

No comments: