Thursday, July 08, 2010

Solo

Rode the crit again this week. Beautiful windy day in Eugene. Two laps into the crit a U of O guy took off with two other riders. They quickly got a big gap. I tried to get a group to chase them down, but no one wanted to pull into the wind and the leaders got farther and farther away.

I decided that I would have to do it myself, so I tried to solo the gap with 26 laps to go. The two guys trailing the U of O guy quickly got dropped. I realized that it was going to take a while to catch him. I put some good distance between me and the main field, but slowly started to work my way towards the guy in front of me. I ended up lapping the field and caught the U of O guy on the last lap. I caught him on the corner, then passed him with half a lap to go. I don't think he thought I had caught him and he didn't even chase as I sprinted away from him in the final sprint.

Actually, the guy running the event didn't believe that I had one. I actually had to explain and convince him that I really didn't get lapped and that I really did catch him. But he got it right and I got my second win of the season. I had to put a lot of energy into it and averaged 178 heart rate and 26 miles per hour. Very draining, but well worth the victory!


This is me and Ethan doing the "Ethan face!" after the crit.

No comments: