Tuesday, December 08, 2009

True Cyclocross!

My number one fan, ringing the cowbell. Thanks Betty!
My grand kids were there to cheer for me. I think they found something more exciting.
The start of my race, pretty cyclocross weather.
I was racing hard to get back to the front after my broken derailleur.
I was passing on the crazy corner.
Eric and Tanner on the tough river bottom section.
After Tanner's break down Daren had caught son, who now had a front flat.
Daren and Dr Cx going over the barriers.
In about ten feet Daren goes down on this crazy corner.
Saturday was the first bad weather cx race of the year. It was freezing and snowy when my race started. I started well and after about a lap one other racer and I had gotten away from the group. I was really feeling good and was plotting my attack and when to go. After about three laps, on the back side of the course I attacked and got a gap and was flying into this left hand corner. I was down shifting front and back derailleur's and I hear the crack and my chain is off. I tried to spin it back on and it wouldn't stay, so I stopped and put it in, as I got passed and started again but off she came. I had to run to the pits and get my back up bike, and was passed by four guys by then. I went as hard as I could and after two laps got back to second. I didn't have time to make up any more ground and I was pretty discouraged with my finish. The crack I heard was a broken rear derailleur arm, and with nationals only a few day away it was a little pressure. After the race I took the derailleur off my tarmac and put it on the cx and then got it adjusted in time to be back to Tanner and Daren's race. By the time there race was on it was really snowy and slick. It wasn't a question of if you were going down it was how many times were you going down. T was coming around a corner and I saw him stop and then start running with his bike. He was along way from the pits so I went a got his back up and rode it over to him and he got going again. I looked down at his rear derailleur and it was broken and mangled. Not a good mechanical day for the fam. Daren had a great race and it was good to see him going well again. He had third, but went down on this tricky 180 turn, and got passed and gaps are hard to close down with so little time left in the race. Daren finished fourth and it was good to see him racing so strong. We are leaving today for nationals and it is a snowy mess, so hopefully we will get there in time to race. I feel like we are packing for a move to a new town, nine bikes and every peice of cold weather clothing I own. We'll keep you posted. Ride safe, and try to stay warm. Doug

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck at nationals!!!