Sunday, April 19, 2009

First Race




Doug and Betty came up to vist Lis and her soon to be baby. They made a pit stop here in Eugene before heading up to Portland. But we were able to have Betty here for her birthday and Doug here for the Eugene Roubaix. It is a 14 mile loop, and our group did 3 laps. It was nice to be out for my first road race of the year. It was Doug's first road race (I will let him write about his perspective later - look for the Cottle stomach/curse coming into play). He road in my group the cat 4/5. My knee is feeling a lot better, but I haven't been riding as intense or with a group. I started a great diet a few days ago as well. It is the get a stomach bug diet. I lost 10 pounds in 4 days and was a little weak, but was suprised at how good it felt riding hard after that.

I was at the front the whole race and felt pretty good. My gears were having a hard time shifting in two spots so I had to ride all the hills in a higher gear, but it wasn't to bad. The last mile of the course is a dirt/gravel road. It is pretty scary hitting the dirt section at 27 miles per hour.

Coming into the final dirt section I was in the top 10. A guy in front of me got a flat, so I decided to take a chance and create a break and hold. Well my body couldn't keep up with my great idea. I went a little to early and died with 400 m to go. I got passed by a lot of rides and sat up to ride in. I was blown! I have to work on the stamina thing.

No comments: