Sunday, December 03, 2006

1 More Cross Race to Go


Pretty good time at the cross race yesterday. It was in the 20's, snow on the ground and ice in the corners. In other words, a great day for cross. Tanner had a solid race against a very good junior field. He kept it upright and finished 3rd. With a good finish next week, he should win the overall point series. He has come a long way in a short time and I'm really proud of him. He doesn't have the natural engine like some of the juniors (he's like his Dad in that regard), but he is a grinder and doesn't give up. He's having a lot of fun and gaining valuable experience and fitness.

My race was very good for 45 minutes. For the first time in my cross racing career, I was with the big boys. The course was great for me because bike handling really mattered. It wasn't like Wheeler Farm where the guys who can go fast in a straight line dominate. I was 2nd out of the 1st corner and rode with another guy for a number of laps. I moved into 2nd and stayed there for 30 minutes. I could see the leader and I began to close on him. He had about 30 seconds and I cut it down to less than 5 seconds with 4 laps to go. I had closed the gap to 10 yards and was confident I'd pass him. I was thinking "wow, I'm going to win this thing". With the snow and ice, we were on the edge of crashing all day. Well, coming into a corner near the start / finish area I went down without warning. I wasn't hurt and was up quickly. However, my carbon handle bar broke right behind the front brake/shifter. I couldn't believe it. While I was figuring out what to do, 2 guys passed me. I got back on and tired to ride it. I decided to give it a go and raced the last three laps (15 minutes) with half a bar, no front brakes and stuck in the big ring. Even though I couldn't go fast in the technical sections, I manged to close on the 3rd place guy and almost got him. I was really bummed because everything was falling in line for a big win for me.

Even though I didn't get the win, this was a breakthough race for me. I now know I can race with the fastest guys in the masters group, particularly in technical conditions. I can't wait for the final race next Saturday. I'm praying for snow this week!

1 comment:

Bubba said...

Daren, I am sorry to hear about the bad break. What if? But it sounds like you will be ready for the last race. Brooke and I were looking at the pictures and hardly recognized T-man. His hair is a lot longer and he is getting bigger.

I would love to do a group ride and go skiing as much as possible. Let me know what days will work for you. I will coordinate with Doug which days work for him. I think he will be off 26,27. Maybe we could talk him into taking another one off? Let me know.

Bubba