Friday, December 15, 2006

Eugene Cyclocross Race

Well, it feels like I just competed in my first cyclocross race. The weather here has been pretty rainy and windy. A lot of the city lost power because of the wind last night. When I woke up this morning to ride I wasn't feeling very well, my throat hurt and my nose was running. But I ventured on my bike anyway.

My ride started out normal, rain and darkness. Putting these two together makes it difficult to see objects (specifically fallen tree branches). I was riding along the road when I came around a small bend. Up ahead I thought I saw a puddle, but it turned out to be a big branch. I swerved into the road quickly to avoid it. I quickly turned back into the designated bike section. Between the ashpalt and the cement there was a two inch rise. As I turned my front tire rail slided along the higher section. I lost control and slammed into the curb sending me over the handle bars and landing on my shoulder. Luckily, I was ok and so was my bike. So I picked it up and headed on my way.

I continued and made my way to the bike path. The bike path was covered with tree limbs and debris. I was feeling a little sore, but alright. I even did a dismount to go over a tree limb in the path and hopped back on. I looked down to see what time in was on my computer and noticed it wasn't working. I did a quick glance down to see if my speedometer was not aligned, and again was catapulted from my bike. Again I slammed on my left shoulder, but this time I hit my knee pretty hard. As it turns out a small tree branch came up and got stuck in my fender causing me to endo. I had to break my fender back in to position, but made the last five miles on the journey safely.

Aside from being sore it was pretty fun. I can see how addicting cyclocross could be. Even though it wasn't a sanctioned race I finished my first cyclocross race. See you all soon.

Bubba

No comments: