Friday, June 16, 2006

Crits and Dirt

I took a break from the MTB and raced the Sugarhouse Crit last saturday. It is a really cool loop through the park with about 3 1/2 minute laps. Each lap has two brief climbs (stand and sprint for 15 seconds). I raced in the Cat. 3's with hopes of helping my teammate Eric R. win. I lent a hand a few times closing gaps (then blowing up and hanging on for a few laps) and got him to the front with two laps to go (he really doesn't need any help from me). I tried to stay at the front, but don't have the top end speed necessary to keep from drifting pack when it gets crasy fast. As a result, I took my customary place near the back of the bunch as the sprint wound up. Eric was in great position for the sprint but ended up 4th. I had a good time. We had a few slow laps but still managed to average 26.5 for 21 miles.

Tanner and I are racing at Sherwood Hills tomorrow. I really like the course, so it should be fun. I don't race until 1:30. Doug is thinking about riding up to see the race. Tanner has been riding a fair amount and is getting good. Our Teachers and Priests are going to ride the White Rim Trail in Moab next week over 4 days (Adam, by the way, I need your MTB. I keep calling and don't ever get an answer. Call me, I'd like to get it tomorrow). Tanner is the strongest rider of the boys, by far. He's at the point that we actually have fun riding together on the dirt.

Check out Eric Rasmussen's blog http://teamrico.blogspot.com/
He talks about the lunch ride. Go to the archives and read about the cast of characters. See if you can figure out who is who. It's pretty funny.

Later,

Daren

1 comment:

Bubba said...

Thanks for checking on the stem for me. If anyone knows of one let me know.

Have fun riding with the YM, I'm sure it will be a smooth ride! It is good to hear that Tanner is riding.

Bub