Saturday, September 07, 2013

Lotoja Forever

On Monday, I came up with this idea. I had just finished my first cyclocross race of the year. I upgraded to the A's and got my butt kicked - took 5th. I realized I wasn't in the best shape for cross, but at the same time I understoof with four kids and a new job, life sometimes gets in the way. I'm ok with that. But I needed someone to talk to. That person was always my dad. I could always tell him everything, especially about cycling. He always understood me. It just felt better to have someone who always "got it" too. Since I cannot talk to my dad directly any more, my bright idea is to use this blog to write out thoughts and stories to my dad.

Lotoja is today. Lotoja is a bitter sweet word for me now. I have many fond years of riding with my dad and family on the 204 mile trek. I always looked forward to the challenge and training of the ride. Doug always impressed me with how strong of a rider he was. He was an inspiration to me and many. Doing the race for so many years, bumps in the road were bound to happen: broken bikes, bonking, injuries, and sickness. No one would have expected what happened last year, it had never happened in the 30+ years of Lotoja. I don't want to dwell on that experience today, it was a very painful time for me. There is one memory of Lotoja that stands out to me and showed my dad's pure grit and determination.

As I write about this I picture me and my dad sitting on the couch reminiscing about our grand adventures on the bike, laughing as we recall all our funny moments: me riding behind my dad and literally pushing his butt up the King of the Mountain climb because he was totally bonked, Kim using the bathroom, or how good watermelon tasted. The story that comes to mind today was when my dad rode Lotoja on a broken leg. Before Lotoja my dad was in some kind of an accident, I don't even remember how it happened? Funny how over time the details seem to fail me. But my dad had a hairline fracture in his leg and there was a huge bump on his shin. Riding a bike was extremely painful. Somehow - he did it! I don't know how, but he did. As you can see from the picture, it was very painful for him. The part that was the most amazing to me was that he never complained about it. I would have been whining like a mule (total Doug saying, I know). It was a real world experience for me, with a little determination and grit we can get through tough times in our life. There have been times since in my life where I didn't think I would be able to do it, but thought of him and put my head down and made it through.

As those riders ride on today, including Adam, Mindy, and Loren, I know my dad is riding on in spirit. Wish I was there to ride it one last time for him. Doug will always ride on in our memories forever.


No comments: