Sunday, April 03, 2011

Dream come true


I have been wanting to ride from my house to the coast for a long time. The biggest trouble with the ride is how to get there. The main road, highway 126, has no shoulder and has a lot of traffic on it. I decided to take the longer route to avoid that road. I had never done the route before, so I was a little nervous being out in the middle of nowhere and being stuck or stranded. My friend was going to take some clothes for me in his car and I was meeting up with some guys in Florence for a "mancation" (guy vacation - quads on the dunes, Halo all night, and basketball - it was a lot of fun). I have to add they all thought I was crazy for attempting this.

The minute I got out I knew it was going to be a long ride because the wind was blowing in my face and I was not changing direction until I got there. For about 60 mile I rode old logging roads out in the middle of a dense forest. The wind and rough road made it a long ride, but the scenery definitely made up for it. For the last twenty-five miles I had to ride the 126. It wasn't as bad as I thought because they had redone the road and made the shoulder bigger. The only problem was the pummeling wind. There is nothing like going as hard as you can to look and see the speedometer say 14 mph. But I crept into Florence for a great time. It was well worth the effort. I even rode quads out on the dunes for the rest of the day.

This is the photo at the finish from the mancave (rented house by the ocean).


These are more photos of Doug and I riding while he was here. Rob, my buddy, joined us one day for our ride too.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Bub you needed your Dad to make that ride. That's my dream ride! How did the bike work?

Bubba said...

Bike was great! Just the darn wind.