Saturday, October 09, 2010

What if......

First Cross Race of the season and I knew that something wasn't right when on the second warm up lap I rolled my tire and had to borrow one of Tanners backups (thanks Tanner). First Lap I sat on the leaders of last week, but they were going to slow so I shot to the lead and made me a Dollar!! YEAH!!! The bad news is two laps later and still in the lead I reached out to grab another bill and it slipped through my hands....then the guy about 20 yards behind me yelled "I just got a $100 bill" (that was a $100 mistake). Oh but it gets Better!!!
Then with 3 laps to go and still leading the guy on the backstretch finally catches my wheel and tells me we have a huge lead and is willing to help work to the end. So I think what the heck I will sit on him for a while and attack on the last lap. My heartrate is still in the 120's and I was feeling great (easier than a Crit). Then with 2 laps to go I rolled Tanners Spare (sorry Tanner) and went down HARD. I was in no location to get help or a new rim. So I get up and walk it in to watch Doug win!! Nice Job Doug.
Then the carnage..........
The knee was minor......

but my thumb started to really throb while Daren was racing (nice win Daren), so I thought I better go and get it checked out......sorry I didn't stay to watch ya Tanner.

$35 dollars later and a few Xrays (I needed that $100) the Dr informed me that there maybe a bone chip but he couldn't find the fragment. Then he thought there might be a hairline, but it could have been an old injury. He wanted to cast it but I said NO!!! But all tendons/ligaments in the inner thumb are a little stretched out at the moment (you gotta love the pain). So I am in a brace for 6-8 weeks, BUT I AM STILL GOING TO RIDE TO WORK NEXT WEEK!!! And hopefully race in 2 more weeks. Doug rode Lotoja with a broken leg...I can ride Cross race with a swollen thumb.
On the Good Side the bike is OK and the guy in from of me had a helmet camera and said he would post my wreck sometime this weekend on YouTube. Can't wait to see it.

1 comment:

Bubba said...

Sorry about the thumb Sutt. Sucks. Glad to hear you are keeping on the bike. Nice. My buddy found $126 bucks riding yesterday on the road. Some guys have all the luck.